The yard has 6 slipways that can accommodate up to 300 tonnes, with 6,000m2 of workshop, covered work area, storage and office space, 3 stone jetties, 7 deep water moorings, and a house and 2 cottages.
We have a seperate workshop located to the rear of the yard which all Mashfords Glass Reinforced Plastic (GRP) activities are managed.
Mashfords key product or service is its ability to repair, refit and maintain vessels. Our management team have over 30 years experience in engineering, ship repair and maintenance.
We have a full compliment of highly qualified and fully trained shipwrights, boat builders, engineers, glass reinforced plastic specialists, specialist painters, welders, riggers and apprentices. Very few yards can offer these traditional shipwright skills on steel, GRP and wooden vessels. We are an ISO 9001 registered company and pride ourselves on our quality assurance policy and meticulous attention to detail.
Boat building was well established at Cremyll by 1774 when a lease of Frank’s quarry was advertised after the death of James Hennah, shipwright.
From 1779 – 1812 the yard was run by John Parkin, amongst the 28 vessels built by him were several revenue (customs) cutters, armed privateer boats and smuggling vessels. Parkin built new quays, a smithy, storehouses and workshops and an elegant three storey dwelling house, four labourers cottages and a count house all within the shelter of the quarry walls.
The Banks family took the yard in 1823 -1852. They built at least 49 vessels many of them schooners for the fruit trade to the Azores and the Mediterranean.
Robinson Ridley took over 1862 – 1875. He was a coal and general merchant and nothing is known of his boat building work at Cremyll.
Watermans worked the yard from 1875 – 1905. They built the first steamboats, the Armadillo and the Shuttlecock for the Cremyll Ferry in the 1880s. Their successors Rogers & Co built the replacement ferry boats Armadillo and Shuttlecock in 1929.
The Mashford family first leased it in 1930 and was soon a developing wooden boatbuilding yard of significant reputation for both quality and design. During the Second World War some of their work was building small boats for RAF Mount Batten. Mashfords Brothers was acquired by Appledore Shipbuilders in 1999. They intended to develop the potential of the large slipways for commercial boat maintenance, however went into liquidation in 2003 and unfortunately Mashfords Brothers went into administration. Now privately owned, we continue to develop the potential of the site as a major player in the boat building and repair arena.